What Is the Best Powder for 270 Win

The first factory load featured a 130 grain bullet at a muzzle velocity which closely approached the factory advertised figure of 3160fps from the 54 rifles 24. Hodgdons 4831 appeared on the market in 1950.


6 5 Creedmoor Vs 270 Which Is The Best For Hunting Creedmoor 270 Winchester Bullet Designs

IMR4350 and IMR4831 have worked great too just not as much velocity as the RL.

. The 7mm and 30 calibers have a far greater selection of bullet weights offering greater flexibility for large medium game and long range hunting. 27 Nosler 270 Weatherby Magnum 270 WSM 270 Winchester 68 SPC. I dont think there is any one best load but there are multitudes of excellent ones.

Very accurate with lighter bullets downloads well. I shoot a 280 love imr7828ssc. Some like the slow burning H1000 and theres also the new Hybrid 100V which gives excellent metering.

The N550 burns slowly in comparison to other powders suitable for the 30-06. Considering how popular the 270 Winchester has become since its introduction in 1925 its a great mystery why more cartridges of its caliber have not been introduced. Savage Action Criterion 1-8 Barrel.

From left to right. May 28 2019 By Layne Simpson. Can be loaded with bullets between 90 and 180 grains but the sweet spot for the cartridge is bullet weights from 130 to 150 grains.

H4831 is another that will work. The 270 Winchester was released in 1925 chambered in the Model 54 bolt action rifle. It delivered high velocity combined with excellent hunting accuracy.

Best powders for 270. This powder features a symmetrical grain and has nitroglycerine added to provide for a better energy current without added wear to the rifle. I cannot think of a good reason to routinely use a bullet outside of this weight range in the 270.

It is an excellent choice for a well-rounded powder. Powders include Winchester IMR Hodgdon Accurate Alliant Vihtavuori. Ive only used the above powders.

By 1966 OConnor had pretty much settled on H-4831 as the powder for the 270 propelling a 130-grain bullet his favorite weight. 4831 is the classic 270 powder but my first choice now would be RL22 if I could lay hands on any. To the 338 Win.

OConnors favorite load used Hodgdons original surplus 4831 powder and let me assure you its too hot to reprint here because Ive tried it with two different lots of old powder from the 1950s and have blown primers to prove it. I based that on a 270 load at 3000 fps using. For practical hunting situations that would be a difference of 1 14 400 on your point of impact.

270 Winchester Using 140 145 GR Hornady Bullets reloading data with 88 loads. Originally Posted by WyoJoe. There are quite a few powders that the 270 will like dependant on bullet weight.

Winchester avoided this problem by creating a similar but new cartridge caliber of 277 7mm. Lots of good choices in that burn range but if you arent looking for top vel loads I would give H4350 a go. Grains - MV fps.

I like the classic 130 grain spitzer in a 270 which has plenty of weight and an advantageous trajactory compared to heavier bullets. Swift A-Frame Powder - Max. 95g Sierra Match King.

West Treasure Valley Idaho. I find Re22 to be the best for consistency and groups especially with 130gr bullets. Using bullets from Hornady SST or BTSP Hornady ELD-X.

Have used every bullet and powder combination recommended and more than a few that were not in the 243 over the years but this load is one of the best I have ever tried. A highly versatile powder 4350 can be used in a wide range of cartridges from the popular 243 Win. The 270 is slightly over bore so works best with slower powders.

ALL Accurate 2700 Accurate 4350 Accurate MagPro Alliant Powder 2000-MR Alliant Powder Reloder 15 Alliant Powder Reloder 16 Alliant Powder Reloder 17 Alliant Powder Reloder 19 Alliant Powder Reloder 22 Alliant Powder Reloder 23 Alliant Powder Reloder 26 Hodgdon BL-C2 Hodgdon CFE 223 Hodgdon H1000 Hodgdon H335 Hodgdon H380 Hodgdon H414 Hodgdon. I chose H4831 powder for the examples below because it is widely available accurate and offers excellent performance in the 270 Win. 7mm-08 Remington 140 gr.

They give great speed fill the case consistently and are readily available. Because the 30-06 is a heavier round the N550 is ideal for accuracy. I like the RL series for velocity RL19 up to 130 gr and RL22 for heavier.

As you can see in the chart propellants with a relatively slower burn rate are best suited for the 270 Win. Winchester Neck Sized Brass. Reloading powder for 270 Winchester Traditionally H4831 IMR4831 as well as H4350 and IMR 7828 are very popular choices for 270 Winchester.

4350 is an excellent choice for 6mm Rem 270 Win 280 Rem. The 270 is an easy cartridge for which to reload. 435 H100V MAX LOAD.

Alliant Reloder 26 recently became the new Wonder Powder with heavier bullets in the 270 due to safely pushing 150-grain bullets over 3000 fps even from 22-inch barrels. Geocodyrgia Sep 2 2018 12 I have a pair of 270s that are very different load-wise. The range of 130-150 grains remains the most popular however.

Other good powders include IMR 4831 IMR 4350 RL-22 and H4350. H4831sc is a staple for a lot of my 270 friends. You can shoot a 130 at around 3100 fps from most barrels of normal length.

I think imr4831 is still the only powder for a 270 Dave T Kevin Taylor jbarnwell and 4 others Bayou Sep 1 2018 11 I also run 4064. M Mauser66 Well-Known Member May 21 2009 3 I will second Clarets recommendation for Re22 as a good 270Win powder. Looks like H4831 is where I start.

For the sake of discussion lets assume on the high side I get a 100 fps swing in velocity. Clarks Fork Valley Mt. See Photo Gallery.

The 270 WSM is undoubtedly suitable for 90 of the worlds game species but should never be expected to produce excellent performance beyond its design limitations.


Pin On Reloading Ammo 270


Pin On Reloading


Reloading Hodgdon Extreme Powder The Consistent Choice Reloading Data Reloading Reloading Bench

No comments for "What Is the Best Powder for 270 Win"